Author: Hannah Tran CPA | Partner at Tailored Accounts
A new portal has been launched to make it easier for companies and individuals to manage their applications for the Research and Development (R&D) tax incentive. Applications can be submitted via the portal from 5 July 2021, but you can log in now to become familiar with the new portal and start drafting your application.
Previously, the process of submitting a Registration of R&D Activities Application started with downloading an editable smart PDF form from business.gov.au, followed by completing the form and finally submitting the interactive form by clicking the Submission button at the last page of the form.
New R&D Tax Incentive customer portal
Now applications can be created, developed and submitted online via the new R&D Tax Incentive Customer Portal. The online platform is expected to deliver a better customer experience for all users, making it clearer for you to understand the eligibility criteria and how to address these in your application
In the future, the portal will be promoted as a one-stop interaction for all the R&D related activities including overseas finding applications, request for extension, variation or withdrawal of R&D activities application form.
What do portal users need to do?
If the submission deadline is before 5 July 2021, the smart PDF form will be used instead. Once the transition to the new portal is complete, the smart PDF form will be abolished. To access the portal, please follow these simple steps:
- You will need a myGov ID;
- Link your myGov to the business you represent through the RAM system.
- Once you log in to the portal, there will be a prompt message asking whether you would like to activate the business as a R&D entity.
- After you have confirmed the activation, you can assign other individuals or tax agents to manage the application on your behalf. This assignment can be done via the Manage Access button at the end of the Portal Page.
If you would like Tailored Accounts to assist you with an R&D process, please refer to the following information:
- Tailored Tax ABN number: 68627884191
- Date the authorisation to be effective
- Period the access to be granted: your start date must be from today or a date in the future and your end date must be no later than 3 years in the future. As long as there is an authorisation in place, you can extend access, revoke or modify the role.